Some Other Empire State Rejectees
Controversy has erupted over the Empire State Building’s refusal to specially illuminate in honor of the centennial of Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa’s birth. No explanation was given. Consider some of the other candidates deemed worthy of the big light show: Caribbean Tourism Development Company; the 60th Anniversary of the People’s Republic of China; the 4th Consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Win for Jimmie Johnson. We took it upon ourselves to check out some other rejectees. Is there an anti-Catholic bias afoot? You be the judge.
- BP Oil Spill (Douse the building in murky brown for a 3 month commemoration!)
- Cancer Stats Rising (41 percent of the building will be lit black)
- Gores Split! (Half green for Al/half yellow for Tipper’s hair)
- Bret Michaels on the mend again! (Red like a rose)
- Honoring Active Alcoholics (“fizzy” light effect and giant “swizzle stick”)
(Hat tip to Evan Derkacz.)
Mary Valle lives in Baltimore and is the author of Cancer Doesn't Give a Shit About Your Stupid Attitude: Reflections on Cancer and Catholicism. She blogs on KtB as The Communicant. For more Mary, check out her blog or follow her on Twitter.